Three-year-old Camila Roxana Martinez Mendoza had severe pain in her stomach, vomiting and fever. This was an alarming sign for her mother, Mary Jane Mendoza, who decided to go through a medical checkup for her little baby.
She took her daughter to a pediatrician in her hometown Villa de Ramos, but the local doctor alarmed the family that this is a concern for an expert, and send the family to the central state of Mexico; San Luis Potosi.
They went to Salinas de Hidalgo Basic Community Hospital where doctors placed a cold towel on her lower body to decrease her temperature and placed an oximeter to check her oxygen levels.
Doctors released the brave young girl who was going through pain only with a prescription for paracetamol, but her condition worsened over the next few hours and they had to seek second opinion. The next doctor advised a diet of fruits and prescribed different medication.
When all of that was in vain, they consulted a doctor who advised the girl to be hospitalized right away. She was admitted to the Salinas hospital where doctors and medical support staff did everything they could to sta’bilize her condition.
After about ten minutes they removed the IV from her vein and took little Camila to rest. “She still was hugging me, they took her away and told me, ‘You have to let her rest in peace,’” her mother recalled.
Mendoza was locked in a separate room from her little girl. She finally managed to get out of the room, but medical staff didn’t allow her to go in the room her daughter was in.
They informed her that her daughter died due to dehydration, and she was shocked.
The family organized a funeral the next day, not knowing if what’s happening is real or not. During the viewing, her mother noticed the glass window of the coffin is kind of fogging up.
Her family convinced her that she was delusional, and she has all the right to be. They told her not to open the coffin, but her parental grandmother wanted to have a loot. Shocked by the thing she saw, Camila was moving her eyes, and upon inspection she even had a pulse!
She was immediately rushed back to the hospital where doctors did everything they could to get her back again, but they were unsuccessful and diagnosed the little girl with a cerebral edema.
“That was really where my baby was done. We are devastated because my girl was a very happy person, she got along with everyone, she didn’t single anyone out. We have many people on the ranch who support us because she was cherished,” Mendoza said.
Camila was about to start in kindergarten this week…
Her first death certificate stated that she died of dehydration, but on the second they added cerebral edema and metabolic failure.
“What I really want is for justice to be served. I have no grudge against the doctors [who] went to extreme [measures],” her grieving mother said. “I only ask that the doctors, nurses and directors be changed so that it does not happen again,” she finished.
San Luis Potosí State Attorney General Jose Luis Ruiz is having a closer look at the suspicious case and an autopsy is underway. Her parents want closure and justice for her little angel.